This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Exploring the Lemont Quarries and I&M Canal

Though I lived in Lemont, IL for my high school years, I never really took an opportunity to explore the quarries that Lemont is known for.  The Lemont limestone quarries provided the limestone that was used to build the Chicago Water Tower building, and 38 Lemont buildings still standing were built using the yellow rock.

The quarries are situated between the I&M canal and the Des Plaines river.





I hop on the bike and make the 20 minute ride to Lemont from my house.  On my way, I had this feeling that I had not put an updated insurance card in my wallet, so once in Lemont, stopped to check.



Sure enough, my card had expired a month ago.  Out comes my smartphone, and I log into my insurance carrier's website where I can bring up a valid insurance card on my screen.  That will have to suffice if I get stopped for any reason while out on this ride....

Back on the road, I make a couple of turns and I am at the I&M canal and the entrance to the quarry area.  The gravel road through the area has a posted 10 mph speed limit, and I keep it under 20 mph to keep a low profile.  In no time, I'm stopped in front of the first quarry, and it's a big one.





I continue on, and pull off at another clearing along the quarry.



The road through the area is exactly the kind I like, and I don't encounter any cars along the way.







A short time later, another quarry comes into view.  Wooden steps allow fishermen to decend the steep bank and toss a line into the water.



Springtime means an abundance of green in the midwest!



Another short ride, and another pullout along the quarries.



There are a couple of opportunities to ride some dirt along the quarries, so I take a couple of turns to try it out.





This dirt road leads to another view of the quarries.



Even the smaller bodies of water are obviously deep, with steep rocky dropoffs.



A couple of fishermen out on the water and enjoying the nice weather.  I don't want to disturb anyone out here, so I am careful with the throttle and ease out of the area.



I'm having a great time putting around in the dirt.



My biggest challenge of the morning - a thick tree root right in my path.  The mighty Caponord defeats it without a sweat.




I climb down closer to the water for a clearer view.



Climbing back up to the bike.



Coming out of the quarry area, I head west along the canal and into Lockport.  There is a coal burning power plant along the Des Plaines, and I stop for a picture in front of the mountains of coal.



An access road allows me to get closer to the power plant.



As I continue on my way I pass over the Des Plaines river.





Continuing on my way I turn to explore a desolate dead end road near Statesville Prison.   It ends at the Des Plaines river.





An old steel bridge that passes over the river has been closed and blockaded. 



I would love to cross it on foot, but the stern warning signs make me decide to pass on it.



The bridge seems to be in decent shape. I can only assume that there are unseen structural problems...





Looking down from the edge.  I'd prefer not to fall down there (that is a tree below my foot).



Turning around, I pass through the Lockport Prarie Nature Preserve.



Using a different bridge, I cross the river and set out to find the other side of the old closed bridge.  Thanks to GPS, I find it in no time.  I guess I won't be getting very close to this one....



Here I happen to notice the Old Canal Road following along side the I&M canal.  I have no choice but to check it out.









My enjoyment of the road did not last long.  Just after passing a nasty old junk yard, I encounter a gate.  It looks like it continued on for quite some distance - I really wish I could follow it...



Here I noticed an old lock on the canal, hidden behind the greenery.









Looking the other direction is a pedestrian bridge that is part of the I&M canal trail system.



Setting off back down the road, I pass the junk yard and have to deal with a dog sprinting after me, trying to bite my leg.  The mongrel is no match for 1000 cc's of Austrian v-twin, and I leave him behind, spraying gravel in his face.  If anyone reading this explores this area - please be careful by the junk yard!

Back on pavement, I ride through Lockport and see an old swing bridge off to my right.  The bridge is no longer used for trains, and is now part of a biking trail that I need to remember to try out on my bicycle.



Back towards Lemont, I turn in near the river and pass under another old bridge.  I believe this one is still in use.



I ride down Canal Bank road, however it ends at private industry before going very far.




It is unusual to get so much off-pavement time near home, so this was a great morning for me on my Caponord.  The I&M canal goes west for miles, and I'll be back to continue to explore the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive