While my friend Ed serves a tour of duty in Iraq, he left me with his 1993 KLR650. It needed lots of maintenance and a new rear tire and because I enjoy that type of work I gladly took it on.
Over the course of about two months I replaced the rear tire and tube, changed the oil, flushed and replaced the coolant, flushed and replaced the front and rear brake fluid. I took some time to have a little fun on it in the snow...
I decided that the bike should get a valve check, which I've never done before. The valve check was an interesting job and I found the two exhaust valves a bit tight so they received new shims.
During the job, I learned the hard way that the cam cover is held in place with steel bolts going into a soft aluminum head. Naturally I stripped the threads of two of the bosses.
I can't say enough good things about Heli Coils! After a tense hour, I had the head fixed with steel threads - probably stronger than new.
The bike went back together and still ran great, which was a wonderful thing after digging so deeply into it. Next on the agenda is heated grips...
This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- July (1)
- March (1)
- May (2)
- June (1)
- July (1)
- September (2)
- October (1)
- November (1)
- April (1)
- May (3)
- July (1)
- September (1)
- October (1)
- November (1)
- February (1)
- April (3)
- May (3)
- June (1)
- March (2)
- April (2)
- June (1)
- July (1)
- August (1)
- September (2)
- October (2)
- April (2)
- May (1)
- July (1)
- November (1)





No comments:
Post a Comment