Warming up before leaving the house
Heading west through Downers Grove
Passing by the Aurora Airport, I saw several old warplanes.
As I continued west, I rode into Shabbona.
A sign told me to turn left for Shabbona Lake State park. So I did.
I left the park and resumed riding west on 30. Another wind farm came into view. I'm seeing more and more of them when I'm out on a ride.
Eventually I ride into the town of Dixon, IL.
I cross over the Rock River. The water is very high after recent rains.
In this shot you can see that part of the lawn is under water.
I made a stop in Grand Detour, IL. John Deer started his company here before moving to Moline, IL.
Just beyond the John Deer plaque, I could see more evidence of the high water.
I took a moment for some beauty shots...
Back on the road I approached Castle Rock State Park.
Oregon Illinois is just to the north.
A short time later, I found White Pines Forest State Park.
I was running low on fuel so I went back into Oregon to gas up. I stopped at a little park along the river where the water was really rushing.
Time to hop on the bike and get moving again.
I continued north and found Lowden State Park. The park was closed by Blagojevich when he was in office, but the minute he was tossed out the park was re-opened.
The views overlooking the river are great.
In 1908 the Chief Black Hawk statue was built on the site overlooking the river. The statue stands 125 feet above the Rock River.
After leaving Lowden State Park, I got on River Road and headed north towards Rockford.
I eventually reached the Rockford airport and made a loop around it. There were emergency crews and equipment everywhere and I learned that there was an emergency drill going on as I rode by. Off in the distance was a wrecked airplane fuselage with emergency workers practicing in it.
After rounding the airport, it was time to start heading home. I will be back to the Rock River - it's interesting every time I make it out there. Next time I'll have to reverse my route... starting north and heading south.
No comments:
Post a Comment