To view an interactive map with my photos embedded, follow this link.
Warming up before setting off.
As I headed west on Ogden, traffic was heavy with commuters. The traffic can be frustrating but I was glad to be heading out of town on a motorcycle rather than driving in to work on such a gorgeous day.
My Garmin GPS unit directing my route.
Finally... first in line at a traffic light!
Time to fill the tank in Oswego.
Open roads make me happy!
I found a nice park on the Fox River in Oswego.
I'll need to come back with the wife and kids for a picnic.
A passerby offered to take a picture of me and the bike.
Cutting through a nice neighborhood on my way back to Route 71.
Spring colors were in full bloom and the air was filled with the scent of flowers.
I stopped in Yorkville to look at the river and saw a downed cable straining against the current.
A wider view of the cable.
On my way to Silver Springs I passed Hoover Forest Preserve. Cool sign.
Silver Springs State Park is a nice place to visit.
Loon Lake offers boat rentals along with a bait/concession stand during the summer.
Passing the crashed plane means that I'm in Norway (Illinois of course). Read more about it here.
A statue honoring Native Americans in Ottawa, IL.
An old railroad bridge over the river in Ottawa.
View of the Illinois River along Route 71 while heading into Starved Rock State Park.
Welcome!
Tight curves ahead...
Curvy fun!
Turning toward the lodge and visitor center.
And now for the spring colors!
This brings me to the visitor center at Starved Rock.
The dam on the Illinois Waterway at Starved Rock.
The water level seems low.
Motion blur as I leave the park.
On Route 178 approaching the bridge over the Illinois River.
A unique structure in Naplate, IL.
I made a quick stop at Illini State Park in Marseilles, IL.
Crossing the river again, this time in Marseilles.
Lunchtime in Morris, IL. I know how to treat myself...
While riding Cemetery Road, I made a stop along the I&M Canal in Aux Sable. The particular site is the location of a lock as well as the lock keeper's house and an aqueduct that carries the canal over a small stream.
The lock.
The I&M Canal.
The spillway along side the lock.
The spillway along side the lock.
Closeup view of the lock.
A view of the aqueduct.
The aqueduct is visible in the foreground, with a bridge for car traffic visible in the background.
A stream passes under the aqueduct. Very interesting concept, passing a canal over a stream...
As I rode toward home, I passed through Joliet and Lockport.
Crossing the Illinois Waterway on Route 7 in Lockport.
As I headed toward Lemont on New Avenue I passed by the refineries that I have passed many times over the years. I have always thought that the area has sort of a Mad Max feel to it...
Once through Lemont, it was a short hop to get home. What a great day: I beat the kids home from school, put roughly 250 miles on my new bike, saw some great sights, and had perfect weather. What a great way to start my week!
To view an interactive map with my photos embedded, follow this link.
No comments:
Post a Comment