This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My ride west to Galena

After getting a little more used to my new bike, I took a longer ride to see how the bike and I got along. I plotted out a route that took me west to Galena via Route 20 and Stagecoach Trail.


View Larger Map


I left nice and early in an attemp to beat traffic. I succeeded.
Letting the bike warm up.

It was a bright and very sunny morning - I was glad to be riding west with the sun at my back.
Letting the bike warm up.

Chasing my shadow on Route 20 near Hampshire, Il.
Letting the bike warm up.

I stopped just off Route 20 for some H20.
Letting the bike warm up.

Route 20 west of Rockford.
Letting the bike warm up.

Traffic was moving along well.
Letting the bike warm up.

I took a great road called Stagecoach Trail when I arrived in Lena, Il.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Stagecoach Trail went through a tiny town called Warren.
Letting the bike warm up.

Stagecoach Trail west of Warren.
Letting the bike warm up.

Nice trees in front of a tiny house near Apple River.
Letting the bike warm up.

Stagecoach Trail heading west again.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

The Galena History Museum.
Letting the bike warm up.

Downtown Galena's flood gates on Main St.
Letting the bike warm up.

Rolling down Main St.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

The buildings in the downtown area are built on higher and higher ground.
Letting the bike warm up.

I stopped at this mansion for a break and noticed that I had a couple of new friends along for a ride.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Since I had 2 nails in my rear tire I decided it was best to turn around and head for home. This is Route 20 east of Galena. I'm approaching a lookout tower.
Letting the bike warm up.

Photobucket

This is the view from the tower area (I didn't climb it this time).
Letting the bike warm up.
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/britt_vfr/VFR%20to%20Galena%20May%202008/GalenaRide2008065.jpg[/IMG]

I stopped to add some air to my tire. It had lost 6 psi so far.
Letting the bike warm up.

Route 84 headed south towards Savannah.
Letting the bike warm up.

Photobucket

Mississippi Palasades State Park is a beautiful place.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Route 84 approaching Route 64.
[Letting the bike warm up.

Messing with the camera at speed on an empty Route 64.
Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Letting the bike warm up.

Nuclear power plant cooling towers off in the distance in Byron, Il.
Photobucket

Crossing the Rock River in Byron, Il.
Letting the bike warm up.

The Fox River in St. Charles, Il.
Letting the bike warm up.

I got home by 2:45 and covered 338 miles - many of those with 2 nails in my rear tire.
Letting the bike warm up.

I pulled the nails from the tire at home, and it went flat in about 20 seconds.
Letting the bike warm up.


It's time to get online and find myself a new tire. From now on I think I'll avoid stopping on gravel shoulders, where nails apparently lie in wait for people like me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive