This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Motorcycle Ride to Starved Rock

In May 2008 I took my first longish ride on my new VFR. 260 miles round trip from home down to Starved Rock State Park in Utica, Illinois, and then home again. I've ridden down there dozens of times on my Nighthawk, but this time I mapped out a very indirect route that took me down new roads and through towns that I have neven passed through before. Naturally, the main road through Starved Rock (Rt. 71) was closed due to construction, but I still really enjoyed taking the long way around.


View Larger Map


In the garage, ready to go.
Photobucket


Ogden Ave at 6:30am on a Sunday.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Route 71 near Yorkville.
Photobucket

Photobucket


A desoltate farm road near Lisbon. I love this kind of riding.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Farmland in Lisbon.
Photobucket


On the road.
Photobucket


There were some nice curvy/hilly roads south of Lisbon.
Photobucket

Photobucket


At the bottom of one of the hills was a bridge over a small stream.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


This was a nice desolate stretch of road west of Morris.
Photobucket

Photobucket


This was a nice road on the way to Seneca.
Photobucket


I stopped to change maps at the marina in Seneca.
Photobucket


Not much traffic in Marseilles at this time of the morning.
Photobucket

Photobucket


The Army has training grounds here.
Photobucket


N2553 Rd near Illinis State Park is a nice road.
Photobucket

Photobucket


I stopped along Rt. 71 where it follows the Illinois river into Starved Rock.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The main street into Naplate is interesting.
Photobucket


A bridge over the Illinois River
Photobucket

Photobucket


There was a motorcycle gathering going on at the state park. I did not get my VFR blessed....
Photobucket


Coming into the park.
Photobucket

Photobucket]

Photobucket

Photobucket


I took Rt. 6 west towards Spring Valley and then headed south on Rt 89.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


After taking Rt. 6 back towards Seneca, I ended up on Dupont Road in Morris.
Photobucket

Photobucket


The weather started out at about 36 degrees, but it warmed up into the 60's. It was just about a perfect day of riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive