This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fun With Panoramas


The Great Smoky Mountain National Park





I've always enjoyed taking pictures of landscapes while I'm out on a ride or away on vacation with the family.  I recently discovered free software that makes creating panoramas incredibly easy and I'm really happy with the results.


To create your own panorama you need to start with suitable pictures.  I've found that my best results come from standing in one place, and shooting the landscape from my left to my right.  I shoot three or four pictures, making sure that the ends of each shot overlap.  It is important to keep the horizon level in each shot.


Once you have some good pictures, download and install Hugin.   It's open source and is free so who can argue with that?


Getting started is best done after reading the tutorials.  You can make it complicated or keep it easy as I did by selecting the pictures, clicking on Align, and then clicking on Create Panorama - all from the Assistant tab of the software.  Maybe later I'll get more technical with it.




Here are some samples of what I did with the above method.  The panoramas below were all created from three pictures.  The picture of the Smoky Mountains at the top was created from four pictures.



Saganashkee Slough, Palos IL





Kentucky Lake,  Gilbertsville KY





Manistee River, between Tippy Dam and Hodenpyl Dam





Arbutus Lake, Traverse City, MI





Mackinac Bridge, Upper Peninsula of Michigan





Lake Michigan, Upper Peninsula of Michigan





Mississippi River, near Iowa and Missouri Border





Lowden State Park, Illinois





Rock River, Lowden State Park Illinois








No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive