The morning started out rainy but the weather radar showed clear skies ahead, so I jumped on the expressway and made my best time for Spring Valley, Illinois.
As I rode through Spring Valley, there was this black hillside that I assume is left over from the old coal mining days.
I rode through De Pue and turned off onto my first gravel road of the day.
I encountered an old structure that was in shambles.
I passed along the side of Lake Rawson.
I stopped at a lock on the Hennepin Canal for a break.
The roads in this area are fun. The paved ones are all hilly and curvy to follow the terrain.
To the west of Goose Lake I found some more gravel.
Back on paved roads, I encountered a fairly vast wind farm that is surrounded by miles of gravel roads.
As I left the area of the wind farm...... you guess it.... more gravel!
Near Bradford, IL.
Somewhere between Bradford, IL and Sparland, IL
Some of the gravel was a larger grade than others and my heavy Caponord was more skittish on it.
One of these roads included a bridge over a small creek out in the middle of the farmland.
I crossed over the Illinois River in Lacon, IL to continue my trip on the east side.
The bridge that carried me over.
Parked by the river for a short break and a drink of water.
I headed east and passed a closed up old building this this parked out in front.
Southest of Wenona, Illinois I found some more gravel.
While riding through Lostant, Illinois (south of Starved Rock State Park) my GPS was showing me roads that I would have never guessed were really roads. To me, they looked like part of the farmer's land, however they had street names, stop signs, and showed on my GPS as accessible roads. I hope I didn't trespass on some farmer's property, but I don't think I did.
After a few twists and turns..... more gravel.
It was awfully dry.
Out on a paved road I passed over a river near the Margery C Carlson Nature Preserve.
I continued north and passed Matthiessen State Park. I love hiking there with the family, but today I passed it by.
I arrived at my lunchtime destination - Starved Rock State Park.
After a lunch of a jumbo hot dog and a drink, I was back on the road and headed in the general direction of home. Some shots along the Illinois River on the east side of Starved Rock.
I crossed over the Illinois River again in Morris, Il.
Next up was interstate all the way home. The bike and I were both due for a thorough wash and one of those Saturday afternoon summer naps that always feel so good.
No comments:
Post a Comment