This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Moving On...

After much debate, I have decided that the time is right to move on to a different type of motorcycle. There are a lot of things to like about the VFR. First of all, I think it looks great. Classy and not too flashy like many sportbikes out there. It's extremely comfortable, and the engine makes sounds that stir the soul.

Yet I still find myself looking for something different. At extended freeway speeds, the engine could have been a little less busy. Sure, the bike will do 150 mph if I wanted it to (I don't!). But keeping up with freeway traffic, it just revved a little bit more than I'd like. The VFR is a great middleweight SPORTS-tourer. But I think I'm ready for something a little bigger, and a little smoother. I already know what I want...

I detailed all the little nooks and crannies on the bike and made sure it shined like new. Pictures were snapped and ads were placed on Craigslist along with VFRWorld, VFRDiscussion, SportTouring.net, and ADVRider.

Shiny, clean, and selling itself...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I was not immediately overwhelmed with interested riders, but I did get serious inquiries from four different folks all over the country.

The oil was due due for a change so I gave it the 3.3 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic oil, along with a new filter, that it deserved. I cleaned everything up, buttoned up the bodywork, and parked it while it waited for its new owner.

Out of the four, one of them was semi-local, offered me my asking price, and came to pick it up on only the third day after our initial conversation. Now that is the way to conduct a transaction!


Goodbye...
Photobucket

While my VFR was up for sale I was busy searching for my next machine. Between 1997 and 2003 Honda produced a motorcycle for the North American market that always held my interest. It was very highly regarded in every article I read, but I felt like it was just a little too much bike for me. It is however, the next logical step after a VFR800.

The CBR1100XX.

Called the Super Blackbird in other countries, this is a machine that is built for smooth comfortable speed. Yes, it has much more speed and power than I really need or will ever use (I've never had a ticket on a motorcycle and plan to continue that trend!). Every report raves about the way it handles freeway speeds with absolutely smooth effortless composure, and that is really what appeals to me.

My search began, and I found a lot of them for sale. I was not crazy about having black paint. I want to stand out in traffic, not blend in like a stealth plane. That left me with Silver, Titanium, or Candy Glory Red to choose from. Candy Glory Red was the obvious choice to me, so I narrowed down my search.

I found a Candy Glory Red 2001 XX in St. Louis. It had Heli Bars, Corbin Beetle Bags, and recent chain, sprockets, and tires. I emailed the owner and our email exchanges pretty much sold me on his bike. He's a mature professional, and also a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor who seems to have pampered the bike. After a set of detailed pictures after a fresh wash, we made a deal via email, and he removed the ad from Craigslist. It will be mine!

What a nice color...
Photobucket

Detailed view after a good wash...
Photobucket

The paint looks great, and the Beetle Bags will be so nice to have!
Photobucket

22,356 miles on it...
Photobucket

Amtrak will get me down to St. Louis on Saturday morning, and I'll be riding my new XX home Saturday afternoon. I have a feeling that I will be thrilled with my decision to try something new, but my VFR will certainly be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive