This is where you will find pictures and stories from my two wheeled adventures.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Early Fall Colors Along the Rock River

Summer weather has been winding down to autumn, and good motorcycling weather will soon take a back seat to winter. I love summertime, but there is something special about the changes that come with fall.


View Larger Map


It was a chilly 40 degrees out when I stopped by this corn field for a picture.
Photobucket

Rode through Lowden/Miller State Park. Our wonderful governor Rod Blagojevich saw to it that this beautiful state park would be closed shortly after my visit. I suppose he's too engaged in illegal activities to enjoy the outdoors.
Photobucket

A nice newly paved road with a hint of fall color in the trees.
Photobucket

I made a stop by the river in Dixon, IL.
Photobucket

Next up was Castle Rock State Park.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

White Pines Forest.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lowden State Park.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm noticing more wind power here in Illinois. As I once read on a T-shirt "Wind power blows me away!"
Photobucket

Some weird "humps" in Cherry, IL where everything else is dead flat. I later learned that these humps are mine tailings from a coal mine that existed here 100 years ago. Read more about the tragic happenings at this mine here: Cherry Mine Disaster

Photobucket

The day was getting late, so it was time to head back towards home.
Photobucket

It was a really nice 350 mile ride, and with winter coming soon I truly enjoyed the early fall colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive